Friday, October 2, 2009

Canals, bikes, sexy time and muffins: Amsterdam

As Editor In Chief of the blog (until Megan finds out that I promoted myself and fires me) it is with great sadness that I write our last blog entry. Cry-fest-09.

Canals, bikes, sexy time and weed really is how you sum up Amsterdam. By the time we arrived we were already starting to wind down as I mentally prepared myself to go home in two days. On top of that it was also grey and drizzly here as well so we probably didn't see it in it's prime - although I don't think any amount of sun could help Amsterdam scrub up. It was way cool in terms of the general vibe but it was definitely one of the dirtier places we had been - although what did we expect in a place famous for sex and drugs hmmm?

We did the usual routine of check in and go for a wander and before long we found ourselves eating :) We went to a cool little Spanish bar where the man owner had so much eyeliner he made us look like men. Fab food which put us in good spirits for the rest of the night. ..




Now I haven't checked with Megan as to how much I can say here with all the mums in the audience so just use your imagination...



Mmmmmm muffins...


At our cool little coffee shop that we found.


The main touristy kind of street that is just FULL of Cosmic corner type shops to the point where it's so over the top it's funny...


Megans favourite shop! Sadly the silver undies-penis-combo didn't fit her. She said the netting suit should look O.K by itself though...
We actually discovered the red light district on our first night by mistake. It was so low key we didn't realise that we were right in amongst it. I imagined it to be FULL of tourists and bit of a laugh but it was so sad. Just these girls/ladies in neon lit shop windows waiting for someone/anyone to come along. Pretty sad.
But far from sad were the pink bikes I kept seeing!



Oh more sexy time - we took photos from the outside so we could pretend we had been in...




And then I almost cried because my favourite artist/graffiti artist (Sheppard Fairey) had done this big outdoor exhibition thing near the station and I wept and wailed with joy as I took these photos...








And then we both wept and wailed this morning as we said goodbye.



It's been a rad trip but we cant wait to get back amongst it with everyone in NZ.
Adios!
See you soon Megano! Have fun in your kilt - hope it looks ok with the netting suit!

1 comment: